Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Swain Community Hospital Limit Visitation Due to Seasonal Flu Outbreak
January 2, 2020
Due to high levels of respiratory viruses in the community, Swain Community Hospital has implemented seasonal influenza precautions. Visitation restrictions will be in place during peak flu season, which generally lasts through the first of April, and the hospitals kindly asks that the following individuals do not visit during this time:
- Children under 12 years of age,
- Pregnant women, and
- People with chronic lung diseases.
In order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of its patients and to help prevent the spread of infection, Harris Regional and Swain Community Hospitals also asks the community to:
- Please limit the number of visitors to three (3) per patient.
- If you have flu-like symptoms, such as fever, cough or runny nose, please do not visit.
- Remember to wash your hands before entering and exiting a patient’s room and after leaving the hospital.
- If you are in the hospital for tests or procedures and have a flu-like illness (fever over 100 degrees with cough or sore throat), please ask for a mask.
The best ways to protect against the flu are to:
- Get vaccinated. It is not too late to get a vaccination.
- Practice good health habits. Avoid close contact with others; stay home when sick; practice good hand hygiene; cover your nose and mouth with a tissue; and avoid touching your eyes or mouth.
- If prescribed by a physician, take flu antiviral drugs.
Swain Community Hospital is committed to protecting its patients, employees and volunteers, and limiting the further spread of influenza in our community. For more information about the flu and effective prevention methods, visit http://www.cdc.gov/flu/.
About Swain Community Hospital
Swain Community Hospital, established in 1950, is a 48-bed Critical Access Hospital serving a multi-county region with primary care, emergency medicine and subspecialty care including a pain clinic and a transitional care unit. Harris Regional Hospital and Swain Community Hospital began an affiliation in 1997 and joined Duke LifePoint Healthcare in 2014.