PT encourages rehabilitation by reducing pain and restoring mobility and function, making daily activities easier and helping patients return to recreation.
- Neurological Rehabilitation: We have staff that specializes in the evaluation and treatment of patients with problems due to disease or injury to the nervous system such as Parkinson's Disease, stroke, spinal cord damage, and traumatic brain injury.
- Concussion-related dizziness
- Vestibular and balance: For patients struggling with balance issues or vertigo, our skilled staff can help determine the cause of the issue and develop a treatment plan. Our staff has specialized training including inner ear (vestibular) techniques that may reduce or eliminate vertigo symptoms.
- Orthopedic physical therapy: Our staff brings many years’ experience in orthopedics and can assist patients with joint and overuse injuries, as well as post-operative rehab. Here is a sample of some of the more common injuries we treat:
- Elbow Injuries: Lateral Epicondylitis, Medial Epicondylitis, Collateral Ligament Strains: These issues are not just treated with modalities and exercises for the involved area, but also with strengthening and postural education for other areas that may be contributing to these symptoms.
- Foot and Ankle: our therapists are knowledgeable in the treatment of plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendon injuries, nerve entrapment issues, and shin splints in addition to the common ankle sprain and other diagnoses. Patients are also guided in decision making regarding footwear as well as recommending and fitting for orthotics.
- Hip Pain: Trochanteric Bursitis, Osteoarthritis, Gluteus Medius Tendonosis, ITB Syndrome – After evaluation patients are treated with appropriate manual therapies, exercises for flexibility and hip strengthening, and modalities. These patients often benefit from footwear recommendations as well.
- Knee Pain: From the younger athlete with tendonitis or the older adult with osteoarthritis to the elite athlete rehabilitating after ACL reconstruction, we can help our patients return pain-free to the activities they enjoy.
- Low back pain: Interventions are chosen using the latest evidenced-based practices. Patients, based on their examination, are appropriately focused into treatment based classifications that identify whether the patient will benefit most from lumbar stability training, manual therapy including joint mobilization, or directional based exercises (i.e. Mackenzie Method). Always included is patient education on posture, body mechanics, and lumbar stability training.
- Neck and Upper Back Pain: These patients are treated with similar principles to those mentioned above, using the most appropriate combination of exercise, manual therapy, and patient education.
- Shoulder pain: Harris Sports Medicine brings a vast amount of experience in the treatment of orthopedic shoulder diagnoses, both in conservative management and post-operative.
- Pediatric Physical Therapy: Our staff brings a board-certified pediatric clinical specialist with many years experience treating infants and young children. Parent/caregiver education is an integral part of our treatment approach.
- Spine: Our staff has extensive training in treating patients with back and neck pain caused by posture, disc problems, or stenosis of the spine. Each treatment plan is tailored to the patient’s needs and may include manual therapy, exercises, and patient education.
- Sports medicine: Our staff includes certified athletic trainers that have extensive training and background in sports medicine to help the elite athlete or the weekend warrior return to the field. We coordinate with local athletic trainers to provide education and preventative opportunities in the surrounding school systems.
How to Prepare:
- To help us provide you with the highest quality of care, please arrive 15 minutes prior to your first scheduled appointment to complete paperwork, etc. Please bring your identification and insurance card.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing as your active participation is vital to your success!
- Services provided are covered by most private insurances, as well as Medicare when ordered by a physician. You are encouraged to check with your insurance company for your personal situation.
What to expect:
- Friendly, highly-trained and licensed therapists who are prepared to meet your needs
- A comprehensive evaluation including the establishment of rehabilitation goals and an individualized treatment plan on your first day
- A better understanding of your conditions and your rehabilitation options
- It is important that you attend each scheduled appointment in order to speed your recovery. If you must cancel, we ask you to do so as soon as possible, so that we may assist others.
Beth Baxley, MS, CCC-SLP
Erin Bock, PT, DPT
Missa Branscum, PTA
Andy Burke, PT, DPT
Lauren Carnes, PT, MPT, CLT
Angela Conley, PT, CHT
Sandy Davis, PT, MPT, PCS, MSW
Tracy Extine, PTA
Heather Farson, PT, MPT, LAT, ATC
Leslie Hall, PTA
Jude Hammond, PT, CMT
Faye Harris, PTA
Ashley Hyatt, PT, DPT, NCS
Joshua Jones, DPT, OCS, DAC
Ellen Meekins, MHS, OTR/L, CHT
Catherine Overbay, MA, CCC-SLP
Cara Perciaccanto, PTA
Tim Robinson, PTA
Megan Russell, MS, OT, CHT
Lauren Sides, PT, MPT, CLT
Kelsea Sonnier, MOTR/L
Jake Watkins, PT, DPT
Todd Watson, PT, DPT
Sherri Watterson, PTA, CLT
Dave Wheatley PTA
Carlos Wilson, PT, MPT
Harris Regional Hospital
68 Hospital Road
Sylva, NC 28779
Swain Community Hospital
45 Plateau St.
Bryson City, NC 28713
Franklin Medical Park
55 Holly Springs Dr.
Franklin, NC 28744
Harris Sports Medicine &Physical
Therapy: Western Carolina University,
Health & Human Sciences Bldg.
3971 Little Savannah Road, Suite 113
Cullowhee, NC 28723